Doctoral Program Information

The Learning Technologies PhD program is offered in two formats: residential and distributed. Both options require attendance at a once-per-year on-site meeting to meet state residency requirements. The Annual Doctoral Meeting is typically a 4-day event during the fall semester at the UNT Denton campus. The full Texas Administrative Code state and aligned department policy regarding the residency meeting is located in Appendix C of the Learning Technologies PhD Handbook.

This program includes formal course work, a portfolio-based qualifying examination, independent study and research including, but not limited to, a supervised study and dissertation. The student will spend significant time conducting independent research and working collaboratively with the faculty related to complete the dissertation and other projects. The doctoral degree will require at least 60 semester credit hours beyond the master’s degree. For additional program information, please visit the Learning Technologies PhD page in UNT Graduate Catalog.

Courses and Schedules

View courses offered for the Doctoral Program at Courses and Schedules and/or browse the Office of the Registrar's Current Schedule of Classes.


Information about semester registration can be found at If you have registration issues, contact the Registrar's Information Counter by calling 940-565-2111 or visiting Eagle Student Services Center (ESSC) Room 147. To register for the program, complete the LT PhD Request form.

Contact the departmental advising office at if you require degree plan changes due to registration issues or have other problems the Registrar cannot help resolve.

Course Offerings for Residential PhD Students

Residential courses are provided on a two-year course rotation with the exception of the research courses (e.g. 6510, 6511, 6512, and 6514), which are offered yearly. Courses are offered as supported by enrollments and may change as determined by the program.

X = Offered every year
E = Offered every even year
O = Offered every odd year

Course Offerings for Residential PhD Students


Fall Fall 
Spring Spr
May Summer
LTEC 6000 - Philosophy of Computing in Learning Technologies O
LTEC 6010 - Theories of Instructional Technology E
LTEC 6020 - Advanced Instructional Design: Models and Strategies O
LTEC 6030 - Emerging Technologies and Education E
LTEC 6040 - Theory and Practice of Distributed Learning E
LTEC 6121 - Leadership Development in Applied Technology and Training X
LTEC 6200 - Message Design in Learning Technologies X
LTEC 6210 - Theory of Design of Interactive Multimedia Systems O
LTEC 6220 - Theory of Learning Technology Implementation O
LTEC 6230 - Advanced Production Design for Learning Technologies E
LTEC 6240 - Artificial Intelligence Applications X
LTEC 6250 - Learning Technology Systems Design and Management X
LTEC 6260 - Creating Technology-Based Learning Environments E
LTEC 6270 - Developing Funding Opportunities in Learning Technologies O
LTEC 6280 - Project Planning and Evaluation in Educational Technology
LTEC 6480 - Research Seminar X
LTEC 6510 - Introduction to Research in Learning Technologies X
LTEC 6511 - Analysis of Research in Learning Technologies       X
LTEC 6512 - Analysis of Qualitative Research in Learning Technologies -
LTEC 6514 - Seminar on Advanced Research Topics in Learning Technologies and Information Sciences X
LTEC 6515 - Advanced Research: Scaling Methods O
LTEC 6516 - Advanced Research: Computer Mediated Discourse Analysis O
LTEC 6700 - Practicum/Internship X
LTEC 6701 - Practicum, Field Problems, or Internship X X
LTEC 6800 - Special Topics in Learning Technologies E
LTEC 6900 - Special Problems in Learning Technologies X X X
LTEC 6910 - Special Problems in Learning Technologies X X X
LTEC 6950 Doctoral Dissertation X X X

Distributed/Residential Course Rotations

Distributed courses are offered in a specific sequence of course and events for each cohort. Courses are offered as supported by enrollments and may change as determined by the program. Note: Students must meet with their major professor before the Summer to see if they must take Tools Courses.

Fall Cohort-(Cohorts 24, 25, 26, 27) and Summer Cohort

Degree Plan

Students must file a degree plan within the first 12 hours of course work and after admission to the program. Once filed with the Graduate School, an electronic copy of your approved degree plan will be emailed to you for documentation and reference purposes. Any deviations from your approved degree plan will require an official degree plan change. Contact your major advisor or if you have questions or need assistance with filing your degree plan.

AGF Roles and Responsibilities

To better understand how you should expect to work with your Associate Graduate Faculty (AGF), please review the following document- AGF Roles and Responsibilities.

Doctoral Dissertation

More information about the Doctoral dissertation process and tracking progress throughout the PhD program can be found here


  • Instructure Canvas is the official learning management system (LMS), however, it may not be the only one you encounter in Learning Technologies. Because part of our purview as a department is learning about, using, and studying a variety learning management systems, you may have courses in different systems ranging from Moodle to Schoology over the course of your time in the program.
  • The link for you to access Canvas is Your courses should automatically populate as your instructors make them active. You will login with your EUID and password.
  • Coursework will often be submitted through Canvas, though some instructors will ask you to send by email or through another system.
  • There is a Guide and Help built into the left-hand menu within Canvas for everyday questions. If you need additional help, first email UNT’s Center for Learning, Experimentation, Application, and Research (CLEAR) at or call 940-565-2708. If you are still stuck, contact your instructor.


  • If you have questions about your degree plan, course cancellations and substitutions, issues the Registrar cannot address, or other questions that require advising, please contact your major advisor or
  • Always contact your instructor and try to resolve course issues with them first.
  • If you require an Incomplete due to medical or other serious issues, request your instructor's permission first. After, you will need to fill out a Request for Change of Grade form and have it signed by the appropriate parties.


Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

How do I know who is on my committee? How can I contact them? You can obtain a list of your committee members by emailing

I’m an international student. What are my program options? Email for more information about program options for international students or visit the international office’s website at

How can I apply for a position as a Teaching Assistant or Research Assistant within the department? Click on our webpage Graduate Assistantships to learn how to apply.

How do I protest my grade? Students are responsible for meeting the standards of academic performance established for each course in which they are enrolled as well as requirements for completion of their academic programs. Faculty members are responsible for establishing standards of academic performance and for evaluating student performance in an equitable manner. Faculty decisions in such matters are considered authoritative and can be overturned only when it has been determined that a grade was assigned in an inequitable, arbitrary, or erroneous manner. This policy outlines the grounds for a student grade appeal and the process by which it must be carried out. Click here to view the Full Grade Appeal Policy.

What steps do I take to defend my dissertation? Contact your major professor for more information on defending your dissertation, as it is unique to each individual professor. 

How can I obtain an advising code to take one of my classes? Email to receive a course code.