Admission to doctoral study in learning technologies is competitive within the capacity of the program faculty to mentor doctoral students. Each prospective student will be subjected to an evaluation conducted by the Learning Technologies program graduate faculty each term/semester for a limited number of openings. The minimum requirements for admission include the following:
Minimum requirements for admission
- A Masters degree from an accredited institution, with a grade point average of 3.5 (on a 4.0 scale) or
- Under some circumstances a Bachelor’s degree with sufficient additional courses required to secure a Masters degree on the way to a Ph.D. A total grade point average of 3.0 or a grade point average of 3.5 over the last 60 hours (on a 4.0 scale)
Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores including verbal, quantitative and analytical writing must be on file at the time the application is reviewed.
For international students, a satisfactory score on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or successful completion of the UNT Intensive English Language Institute (IELI) through level 6.
Preferred Advisor Form (contact LT-PhD@unt.edu to request application or see link below).
A personal resume that includes a summary of teaching, administrative, and/or training experience.
Personal statement (500 – 1000 words) of career objectives, which may include doctoral research areas of interest; research, professional or community experiences that demonstrate motivation, commitment and potential for doctoral work; accomplishments; communications skills; technology skills; and contribution to the diversity of the field.
Three letters of recommendation.
- One letter of recommendation must be from a faculty member currently working at an academic institution. This letter must acknowledge the applicant's potential to successfully complete the program’s doctoral program.
- Letters can be sent direcly to LT-PhD@unt.edu
- Interview with program faculty, which is not a requirement, but may be requested by the admission committee.
Submission of Application
Click here to download the LT Ph.D. Preferred Advisor Form
Click here for the LT Ph.D. Application Checklist
Submit the following admission materials directly to the Toulouse Graduate School:
- Completed application for admission (apply online at goapplytexas.org)
- Transcripts from previous colleges attended
- GRE or GMAT scores.
These materials are processed by the Toulouse Graduate School and then forwarded to the program. Due to this processing time, it is imperative that you submit these materials well in advance of the program application deadline so that they are received by the program office before that date.
Submit the following materials directly to the LTEC Program office at LT-PhD@unt.edu:
- Personal resume or CV
- Personal statement
- Three letters of recommendation (one must be from a faculty member)
- The L.T. Ph.D. Preferred Advisor Form
Submission Dates, Review of Application, and Semester Start upon Acceptance
|Application Deadline||Upon Acceptance|
|March 10th||Fall Semester of next Cohort Start|
|Application Deadline||Program Review Period||Upon Acceptance to Residency Program Option|
|January 15th||Between Jan. and Mar.||Fall Semester of next Cohort Start|
International students apply via the UNT International Office
Completed application packets are then distributed to the program admissions committee for review. If you have questions, please contact the LTEC office.